Why does everything taste better with avocado? Being in Southern California, they have become a staple ingredient in our home. My son, Felix, requests most meals to his personal likings–hold the parsley, no garlic, extra cheese… But avocado toast is a win as is! It’s a nice balance of savory and sweet with a small hint of spice. It’s become a fixed item on our menu, especially for breakfast. Super simple to make, clean up is a breeze, and perfect to eat morning, noon or night.
splash of lemon
sliced, seeded whole grain bread–or bread of choice
chilli pepper flakes
sea salt flakes
- Slice avocado/s and spoon into a bowl.
- Juice half of a lemon over the avocado. Mash with a fork…. could not be much simpler, and little hands love to help with this portion, or any of the process for that matter.
- Spread mashed avo over bread that has been toasted brown and slightly crisp.
- Sprinkle avocado spread with a pinch of sea salt and red pepper flakes. (Hold the red pepper flakes for little ones without a liking for heat– use a small amount of fresh ground pepper instead or omit all together.
- Drizzle with honey if you like things a dash sweet and savory.
For a complete meal we love adding a poached egg or a dollop of ricotta on top. Sprinkle with Chia seed for extra omegas if you have any on hand.